A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Wednesday 2 July 2014

Val de ri, Val de ra.........


I love to wander by the stream, 
That dances in the sun.  
So joyously it calls to me, 
Come join my happy song.

The second verse of the song Happy Wanderer sums up what the day was like beautifully.  Walking beside crystal clear, fast flowing streams, glinting in the sun light and bubbling and gurgling along.  Then it was up into the mountains, over the Fern Pass, and a steep descent to yet more streams and a couple of bright green lakes, the colour of which I've never seen before!
Along the way there are often seats for the locals, and passers by like me, to sit, relax and admire the view.  This view is of Lermoos.
and this one is looking towards the Fern Pass where I am headed.
Weißensee (a see is a lake). One shouldn't look back, but with views like this it is hard not to!
Looking through the trees to the extraordinary coloured Fersteinsees.
and at last I descended to them.

Surrounding me, in the distance, and much higher up, have been snow capped mountains, and at my level, forests of beautiful pines and wildflowers.
The path ascending Fern Pass, and still I couldn't resist looking back!
 Descending Fern Pass.  I THINK this is a bit of the old Roman road, complete with wheel ruts!
The only comfort descending this path was that I had to walk on the right (road rules apply - otherwise the cyclists get irate!).  This meant that anyone passing me was on the outside edge!   The other consolation was that even toppling off, I doubt one would get very far before a tree stopped a fall, though how you would get back up I have no idea!!
           
Just some of the
wildflowers I saw.  The middle one is a little orchid.

Sandwiched on either side of this glorious day there have been a couple of wet ones.  Joan left for home on Sunday by train, and I left Ruette on the train with her as far as Lermoos - in pouring rain.

I had a sore foot which, in the absence of Dr Mark, was diagnosed by Dr Google as tendonitis caused by tight fitting shoes.  His prescription was rest, shoes tied looser, and laces tied on the side.  As a precaution I spent an extra day in Lermoos and today, just as a precaution, I caught the bus 15 kms to my next destination, Imst.

Normally I don't worry about rain, but given my tender feet I decided I would avoid risks of slipping or twisting my ankle.  This is a lesson learned the hard way from previous journeys.  I have plenty of time so am not pushing myself.
 The view from my bedroom window at Nassereith last night,
and what a difference a day makes - the same view this morning!

Mind you arriving here at Imst I then went exploring the Rosegarten - an extraordinary gorge, down which, here in the town, a fairly innocuous looking stream pours.  In the gorge it is transformed and it changes to a boiterous, noisy one, roaring ferociously over waterfalls, small and large, with the path clinging to the gorge sides.  The path climbs over 220 metres and I decided desctretion was wise in the descent, and took the forest path - my nerves wouldn't take the descent down the gorge!
 Ascending through Rosegarten, Imst, Austria
This gives you an idea of height - not a selfie!
 A gentle waterfall high up in the gorge.
Those who know me will see why io was notr going to retrrrace my steeps willingly.  Mind you, I am glad I did it.
Returning to the theme of the first pictures - the view of Imst from a  strategically placed seat so that one can admire the view!  When I descended I went into that church and had a good sing! It has a cloister surrounding the cemetery in its grounds.




1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous scenery. Take it steady. I am impressed you have managed to use characters of the German alphabet in your posts. Cheers

    ReplyDelete