A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Monday 28 July 2014

Life is full of surprises

The first surprise is the city I am in - cycling city!  However barely a sign of lycra....... or helmets........ or flash bikes!!!

I arrived in Ferrara, a UNESCO world heritage site, on Saturday, by bus.  I had been walking along the Po cycle way along one of the levee banks.  The levee banks are quite high and wide, and there are times when they are some distance from the river - the Po is a big river and would need a lot of space in the event of a flood.
Walking towards Bergantino, along the levee bank.  You can judge the height a little by seeing the gap from the road on the left, the access ramp in the centre and the top of the bank on the right.
The levee bank has access via ramps and stairs.  This gives a good idea of the height.

The river is quite some distance away here.  The flood plain is very fertile, and every opportunity is taken for cropping.
The Po, near Ostiglia.
Without a skeric of shelter from sun or rain while on this path, and waking to thunder and lightning I decided it was prudent to hop on a bus, very prudent in light of the story of those struck by lightning in LA!  I had no desire to be the highest point on the highest point!  The thunder storms continued throughout the day, even 28 kms down the road, and interestingly, the bus took 1 hour 10 minutes to get here!  I saw a whole lot more on the bus, going into each little village than I would ever have seen on the levee bank!

Anyway back to the surprises.  The first one was leaving the station, at the end of the journey.  Here I saw - a bike park, big bikes, small bikes, new bikes, and old bikes.  I just can't wipe the smile off my face every time I go outside, just seeing ( and hearing) all the bikes.  I have since read that Ferrara is one of the cities with the largest number of bikes in the world.  I can believe it from what I've seen.
The first bike park I came across.
The bikes carry all sorts of things, including pooches!
It tickled my fancy seeing people riding and holding an umbrella in one hand while steering with the other.  I sat in the square watching, fascinated, as bikes came from every direction, and as I wandered the streets the "parking" of the bikes took my eye!  The air is filled with the soft rattle of them as they roll across the cobbles, the squeaks as they are shaken, and the periodic screach of brakes.
Trying to keep dry!
Baby sits in the red seat, mum or dad sit on the bike seat, and toddler (up to about 5 yrs) sits on the black seat behind.  No fear of baby getting dust in their eye - note the wind shield!
When bumping into friends, one stops for a chat, sometimes for a very long time!
Got to shop?  Just park anywhere!
Piazza Trento Trieste. 
The Cathedral wall right, and the town hall, back left.  The tower is just like the castle towers and this was originally the home of the Duke's family, until they upgraded and moved into the Castello.

Enough of cycles, now the other surprise while in Ferrara - I spent a day with a former pupil of mine and her husband.  We were both equally surprised to see each other, and indeed if it hadn't been for Margaret's eagle eye I would have continued ignoring the pedestrians because of my fascination with the cyclists.  Thus, I had great company visiting the city, including the castle, and shared a delightful lunch with them.  A wonderful day indeed, especially as it was so unexpected.
Part, a small one, of the Castelllo Estense, Ferrara
The ceiling frescoes in the castle, reflected in mirrors.  Note the strips of "masking tape", presumably part of the protection / restoration process.
The castle wall taken from the orange grove on a terrace in the castle.
Looking out on a street through a " hole" in the brick work at the orange grove.

 The bell tower
The Cattedrale exterior,
and inside, just after Mass.
It's Monday - the chairs aren't needed so they're stacked! 




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Margaret. I was unable to stop smiling the whole time I was in Ferrara. Walking along this morning I could hear the squeaks and rattles of the bikes. It's a soft sound and very pleasant as they pass from all directions. I am disappointed that over the past couple of weeks walking has been somewhat minimal, but I have to make safety the first priority, and in thunder storms, and along busy roads I think twice. Take care, Janet.

      Delete
    2. Completely understand. You've had a previous time with foot problems so you know you have to take care of them. I had two weeks off walking in 2012 with a foot issue. I have passed the url for this posting onto a Canadian man I follow on Twitter who promotes cycling and he has retweeted it, so you will probably have some Twitter viewers! When I got home in 2008 I discovered that heaps of people had been reading my blog, including some very unexpected ones- but hardly any of them ever commented!

      Delete
  2. Margaret, oops! I somehow managed to delete your lovely comment, damn! I haven't been getting many, they cheer me up and I really appreciate them. It's not that I didn't like what you wrote, but just accidentally hit delete! Another lesson learned! Cheers, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry- I completely understand- have done the same myself!

      Delete