A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Thursday 31 July 2014

Bologna

Bologna is a city of arcades. Not the type of shopping arcades we get in Australia, but rather massive verandahs with elegant columns that protect the pedestrian from the elements.  As much of the old city of Bologna has these collonaded arcades, one can only assume that there is a reasonable amount of time each year when the elements must be quite severe!
The colonnaded arcades are many and varied, as you can see from these photos.
This arcade is near my hotel.
If the arcade stops there are overhanging buildings that give some shelter.

 Sometimes the columns go on for a loooong time.......
.......and sometimes are richly decorated.

I arrived in Bologna by train.  When showing the hotel receptionist in Ferrara the directions for walking she was horrified, as there was a considerable distance on main roads. Later, over lunch, Michael also confirmed this and so I decided that safety was my prime concern and hopped on a train, smiling all the way to the station as I listened to the creaks and rattles  of the bikes passing to and fro.
 I couldn't resist taking a photo of the post bike in Ferrara (every other place delivers mail either by van or scooter).
and here in Ferrara a couple of young women stop to get some running repairs.

Bologna is a very vibrant city, friendly, and easy to get around, though pretty expensive. I knew little about it till I arrived here, least of all how big it is.  I also didn't realise that this city is also known for its towers.  Interestingly one of them looks to me to have more of a lean than the Pisa tower!
This is the base of one of the towers in Bologna.  I think the lean on it as much, if not more than the Pisa tower.  Hopefully you can see the sort of lean I mean from the three photos below.


The leaning tower, the smaller of the two, was 
lowered because of fear of collapse.  It is just over 48 m high while the taller one is just over 97 m high.
So much of these northern towns have their historic buildings shrouded in scaffolding and fabric as busy beavers work behind restoring them.  This is the side of the massive cathedral, the front had a dress of scaffolding.
King Neptune, near the central square of Bologna, and below, part of one of the old buildings in Piazza Maggiore.

 An old building in the market area.
 I love looking through the gates and doors, and also the patterns made.

Here is a good reason to underground power lines!  These lines look like they are for trams, but there is no sign of tram tracks!
A canal flowing through Bologna.
A public building on the Plaza Maggiore, complete with a stone "lounge suite".


1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have been to Bologna- magnificent place- and I didn't even find all the magnificent arcades you have photographed. Have a story from here though. Was staying in youth hostel but couldn't find bus stop. Was trying to point out address to lady in tourist office who yelled at me and was very rude- other Italians in there looked shocked. I eventually found bus stop for the route- but..... it was going in the wrong direction. Ended up way in the hills somewhere. Tears just rolled down my cheeks as I realised I was lost. Was rescued by English guy near me who lived in Bologna. He spoke to driver, who dropped me off at the right stop back in town with a paper for the next bus driver, and I didn't have to pay another fare on the second bus. So one person was rude, but two were very kind!

    ReplyDelete