A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Wednesday 18 June 2014

the journey begins

Some years ago I hatched a plan that began with me walking home from Europe, or as far as I could get, in a set time frame.  I chose a year, but then realised that heading home would mean that I would be travelling alone through countries I may be uncomfortable in, but even more importantly that I would be walking on many feet of snow during the winter months!  Never having lived in this environment I felt it was not a wise move.  Hence the resultant change in plan.

For three years this project has sat in a folder on my computer labeled "Retirement Plan"!  A bit different to many peoples plans I know, but one I have been looking forward to for sometime!  I have a little bit of an idea what to expect, having made five pilgrimages over the past nine years, but this is way beyond anything I have done thus far, and I will be well and truly out of my comfort zone once I leave Italy and cross over to Albania, heading towards Jerusalem.

Much of this journey will be solitary, but I will look forward to meeting up with friends who are dropping in to walk with me for some of the way:- sister in law Joan for the first 10 days or so, neice Gretta somewhere in Italy, Julie on the Cammino di Assisi to Rome, Neil from Rome to Jerusalem, and friend Joan from Prague to Leipzig.  There are others who are making noises about joining me for short periods, though they have yet to decide when or where.

I really have no idea what to expect as my planned route is all new, except for about 200kms near the end.  There are a few hurdles to overcome, (visa among them), but I know that it will be a big adventure and I look forward to seeing and hearing many new things!

So now the journey begins, the scene is set, and all I have to do is take each day as it comes walking - one step at a time!  Tonight I sit in Changi airport, and tomorrow will be spent wandering around Munich, before a good night's rest in preparation for the first day's walk.  Let the journey begin!

5 comments:

  1. Will be very glad to follow your progress Janet. All the best! Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go with all good grace, courage, vision and delight. And share such stuff with those of us who are only mortal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Just think of all the speech fodder I am collecting! You won't be able to shut me up! Cheers, Janet

      Delete
  3. lol remember me? we talked about walking from Poland a few years ago. I have moved from Sydney to Sandford near Casterton which is closer to your neck of the woods, if I remember correctly (you being in SA). Good luck on your current journey ... I am green with envy (in a good way) and looking forward to another walk sometime in the next few years. Have a great time, stay safe and keep singing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Lynn. Poland hasn't been forgotten - just deferred! Take care, Janet

      Delete