A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Thursday 19 June 2014

Munich

I arrived in Munich 25 minutes early, though this made little difference as my bag didn't appear until after all the others.  I was near the back of the plane from Changi, and therefore one of the last off.  Most people used the escalators but I used the stairs and only used the travellator when I could walk on it, thus managing to be one of the first through customs.  No paper work, and only one question - "how long are you staying"?  Bit tricky to answer that one!

It was lovely to see Joan waiting for me at the end of my train journey into Munich.  This meant I didn't have to think about how to get to the hotel - I could just play follow the leader.  Indeed that set the tone for the whole day, and that has been basically what I have been doing all day - following the leader!  

Joan and my nephew Andrew have been sussing out what I might like to see and because it has been a public holiday for Corpus Christi the day has been quite relaxed - just what is needed to get over jet lag.  

I am still getting used to my new camera, and testing how to make it " talk" to the tablet, but these are a few of the things I saw today.

Just some of the crowd at the Corpus Christi mass.
Isator.  This is the largest gate into the old city of Munich.  Traders would come into the city from the river Isar to sell their goods.
A street scene in Munich.
The rear of the Schloss Nymphenburg, looking from the gardens, which are very reminiscent of the Versailles gardens (though I have yet to see them other than in pictures!).  The Schloss was owned by King Leopold.  I think he was either the father or grandfather of the one known as mad King Leopold.
Some of the art work / decoration in the interior of the Schloss (above and below).

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos. I know I will enjoy following this journey- with just a touch of envy!

    ReplyDelete