A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Monday 8 December 2014

Canals and roads.

I have had a lovely few days since leaving Lancaster. This was against all my expectations as I thought I would be forced to walk on boring roads most of the way.  Yes, I have been on roads for some of the time, but apart from a couple of busy sections they have been very pleasant. The canals too have been an interesting, pleasant and varied diversion.

Along the way I have met some extraordinarily kind, helpful, and friendly people.  I still take an inordinate amount of time to get to my destination, usually because I stop and chat to people along the way and in the pubs.

The first day was a mixture of quiet back roads and along the canal.  "Mr Google" was exceedingly helpful and took me along the shortest and most pleasant way, and I was pleasantly surprised.  There were nights spent in Garstang, Preston, Rufford and Aughton before heading into Liverpool.

Walking through Woodplumpton I met 79 yr old Judith who was out walking for her health.  She had two hip replacements 40 years ago, and was very interested in what I was doing.  I only moved a few yards up the road to the pub where again I got lots of advice from the locals, and a very tasty bowl of pea and ham soup!
The original hotel in Lancaster, which met with a sad fate due to a fire, figured in two of Dickens novels, and I believe he stayed here.  My room was at the back, and breakfast was served in the corner room with the bay windows. A grand old building, with my favourite book store underneath.
After negotiating the suburbs of Lancaster I then followed the Lancaster canal.
Showing that, despite all the odds, I have walked in sunshine (often).  Though it has rained much more often, I have only had to wear full rain gear for about five days.
In the evening light the surface of the canal was like a mirror.

Along the way I have been staying wherever I can get accommodation, and a few days I have actually had to go out of my way and change my intended route to get a bed.  I have also been making use of the reasonably frequent pubs, for coffee, lunch, and a chat.
 At the hotel in Garstang I chatted to a few people while I waited for a table for dinner. One of the blokes I chatted too wanted to know what I was doing and then informed me that he too had done this trip - on a motor bike.  He did the journey in 18hours 35mins!  I refrained from asking him what he saw on the way!  He later took pride in telling me that I was the talking point at the bar!
 Leaving Preston, I was surprised that there were some quite impressive public buildings.......
 .......and then I came across this memorial on the side of a busy road.  The wooden sign on the right has those famous words by the poet Rupert Brooke-
If I should diethink only this of me;
That there's some corner of a foreign field 
That is for ever England.

Walking to Rufford I passed a golf driving range and stopped in, thinking it might be like a club house.  It was, but very basic.  Helen, behind the desk, made me a coffee and gave me a chocolate bar, refusing payment, so I "sang for my supper".  Every person coming into the room was greeted with words along the lines of:- "This is Janet.  She's Australian and walking to Lands End". I was quite the talking point, which continued when I stopped at the Crown pub in Croston for a coffee.  Here I had lots of helpful advice on how to get to Aughton that evening, and then on to Liverpool.  Everyone in the bar had some snippet of advice which was much appreciated, and they are even going to follow my journey on the blog.

As I have walked along the canals I have thought how nice it would be to have a ride on a canal boat.  Well, I got that opportunity walking along the canal on the frosty ground after Rufford.  I was chatting to a couple on a canal boat as I walked, slowing down considerably to walk at boat speed.  I hitched a ride for the mile down the road, or rather the canal, as Alan and his wife were moving their boat home down the canal to get a different view.  They live on the boat, moving a short distance every few weeks, a very simple life, much like my life is at present.
 Leaving Rufford, following the Rufford branch of the Leeds Liverpool canal, along the frosty ground.
 Boats on the canal not only have to negotiate lochs, but also swing bridges, with the one above opening so that the boat can pass through (below)

And here I am aboard, while my hosts operate the loch.

I hadn't realised that I was passing this famous race track.  I was actually back here the next day, by train, but that's another story for the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment