A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Thursday 13 November 2014

St Oswald's Way, down the Northumbrian coast.

I have had issues over the past week with either poor WiFi or none, which is why you haven't heard from me.

Walking down St Oswald's Way has been a delight, even on the day when gale force winds and rain slowed my journey.  Let me go back to the beginning, which was leaving Lindisfarne.  I was lucky enough to cadge a lift for us back to the mainland, where Greta and I caught a bus back to the path where it separated from St Cuthbert's Way.  We weren't keen to repeat our experiences of trudging along the same path with its many bog patches!

We managed to avoid the heavy rain which had fallen overnight, but still had to battle into strong winds, which whipped the sea into a frenzy.  We stopped at the "renowned" Copper Kettle tearooms and treated ourselves to scones and cream.

Unfortunately, all the castles are closed for winter, and so although this way goes past a number, there has been no opportunity to visit them.  We had some lovely paths and stunning views as we walked though.

The Whin Sill is an outcrop of very hard igneous rock appearing throughout Northumberland and this is just one outcrop.
Greta, with Bamburgh Castle in the background.

Bamburgh has a castle (closed!), but it also has a story that captivated me at primary school, though I didn't realise it was the place till this journey.  What story you ask?  Bamburgh is the village where Grace Darling was born, and the off shore Farne Islands, in particular Longstone, was where she lived with her father, with whom she conducted the remarkable shipwreck rescue back in 1838 as a 23 year old woman.  I remember being enthralled by that story at school, though I suspect the younger generation reading this will not have heard of her.
The lighthouse on Longstone Island.
As the wind rose during the day the sea became increasingly ferocious.

Greta left this walk at Seahouses.  She was making her way to London to then go to Wales and do the "Welsh 3,000's" - climbing the Welsh Peaks over 3,000 metres in 24 hours!  I suspect that she will be a "Munro bagger" (the peaks in Scotland over 3,000 feet) in years to come.  It was great having her company, and the next few days seemed a bit odd as I got used to walking alone again.
At the seashore at Seahouses.
The bridge crossing Long Nanny Burn.
The 19th century fisherman's cottages at Low Newton by the Sea.

St Oswald's Way goes through what seems to be endless golf courses.  The Dunstanburgh Golf Club is a long narrow course, which took me over thirty minutes to negotiate.  It tickled me to seeat each course,  the warning signs of "beware of flying golf balls" - not sure how, as this course had players going in both directions.  How they managed to play in the fierce winds on this day is beyond me.  I said as much to one bloke suggesting that it must be difficult to hit the ball in a straight line and he responded with "they rarely do, Pet"!  I lost count of the golf courses I had to negotiate, but I think it was something like eight!
The backdrop for this golf course - the ruins of Dunstanburgh castle, and the Whin Sill cliffs on which it sits.
Looking back at the golfers, and the wilderness between the fairway and the green.
Just showing you what I look like dressed for the elements!  Behind, you get some idea of how ferocious the sea was this day.
Entering Craster.  Unfortunately there was no room at the Inn, and so I had to push on to Alnmouth.  Because of the long day I ended up walking the last four miles in the dark - I thought I would never get there!

Accommodation has been quite tricky of late, and I have resorted to staying in one place a couple of nights and catching a bus ahead (or back) and walking back to my accommodation.  Thus I stayed in Alnmouth 2 nights, catching a bus to Warkworth and walking back, having the luxury of being pack free for a day.
Warkworth Castle.
The village of Warkworth is situated on the Coquet River, and this bridge is a heritage listed one, only open to pedestrians these days.
Heading back towards the coast........
........ and the sea at high tide, captured in the afternoon sunlight.

Alnmouth, on the River Aln........
....... and the sea at the mouth, which, during a ferocious storm a couple of hundred years ago, breached the sandhills, and caused the river mouth to relocate.
I had to negotiate the affects of the tidal river to get back to Alnmouth.........
....... and saw a wonderful sunset as I headed back - yet again, in the dark.
After Warkworth the path headed off across the countryside, and has now left the coast, following the Coquet River for some of the way.
Some of the path is along grassy, wet, and often boggy ground.

I have met some wonderfully kind and generous people along the way.  I got caught on this day walking into Rothbury, facing having to walk across potentially boggy fields in the dark.  For safety's sake I decided to walk out to the road and walk along it, a safer option in the dark.  When I eventually got to the road I was faced with a sign saying "closed to all vehicles, cyclists, pedestrians".  Never having seen a road closed to pedestrians I decided it might be prudent to find out why, and so knocked on the door of the only house around.  How fortunate I did, as the road was impassable due to a landslide.  At 5.00 at night I was faced with a five mile (2 hour) walk one way or a ten mile walk the other.  Helen, who answered the door, generously offered to drive me to Rothbury, an offer I gratefully accepted. 
Leaving the beautiful village of Rothbury.
Heading over the moors again I came across this historic monument - a cup and ring stone.
The moors on this day seemed to have people everywhere.  These people in the distance were headed up the Brecon Hill.
Much bog to negotiate this day.......
..... and narrow paths.

After negotiating these paths I came across Anne and David who were out walking their dog.  After discussion with them, and because darkness was approaching fast, I accepted their generous offer of a lift down to my hotel.  The path was to continue through the fields, and whilst walking on farm tracks or quiet roads is okay in the dark, I think it is too risky to walk on the field paths in the dark.  Bog is one of the reasons, but also there is no way of knowing what animals are in the field and the reactipn to a stranger walking past in the darkness.

The last day of St Oswald's Way proved to be quite chilly - and foggy.  Thankfully though I had very little bog to negotiate, which made life considerably easier, and the pace quite a lot faster.
 Crossing the fells in the fog.
 Although lighter, the fog stayed all day.
 Looking back at the hamlet of Hallington.
The fog made for an interesting sky long before sunset, and it brought a lot lower temperatures.

I have loved walking St Oswald's Way.  A rest and research day / s in preparation for the second part of the total journey in Newcastle is planned, and next post I should be able to tell you where to next!  Thus far I have completed just over 900 kms.


1 comment:

  1. Am loving your accounts and photos so much Janet. Especially love the bridge at Warkworth. I sympathise with walking in gales- think it is harder than walking in mud, though maybe not in bogs! Margaret

    ReplyDelete